Admission to CESL
As a part of Southern Illinois University Carbondale, CESL is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Admission is open to individuals who:
- are 18 years or older and/or have completed high school
- have enough funds or a scholarship available to cover their expenses (tuition, fees, and living expenses) for the entire time of study at CESL
- are willing to work hard in a demanding language-learning program
Applicants are required to complete all items on the application (request forms by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, sending a letter to the address listed at the bottom of this page, or downloading them from the application sites and submitting an official transcript of their secondary school and/or college grades. The financial statement of the application form must be completed and signed by the person responsible for the student's expenses. The completed form should be sent with the $50 application charge (online via peerTransfer, check, or money order made payable to Southern Illinois University Carbondale) to the CESL Admissions, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale, Illinois 62901-4518, USA.
Admission to SIU
Students who wish to attend SIU can apply for undergraduate admission at the UG admission site or graduate admission at the graduate admission site. SIU offers Conditional Admission in all undergraduate programs and most graduate programs. If you receive conditional admission to SIU you do not have to complete a CESL application as well. You are automatically admitted to CESL.
Upon arrival, students will be assisted in making arrangements for living accommodations. Most students prefer to live in dormitories near campus. The approximate cost of room and board in dormitories is indicated under charges and costs. Click HERE to see housing options available at SIU.
Carbondale is approximately 100 miles (160 km) southeast of St. Louis, Missouri and is easily accessible from the St. Louis Lambert International Airport. There is a private van service from St. Louis to Carbondale called BART Shuttle. BART information is available here.
If your flight ends in Chicago's O'Hare Airport you can take a Blue Line Train to the Clinton Station in downtown Chicago. From there it is just a few blocks to Union Station where you can take Amtrak Train to downtown Carbondale. Amtrak information is available here.
You must complete all of the following before being considered.
1. Fill out an application.
2. Complete a financial statement.
3. Pay a $50.00 non-refundable application fee.*
4. Provide transcripts of your academic records.
There are 4 ways to complete an application.
- Fill out the on-line application form.
- Request application forms by e-mailing email@example.com.
- Walk in and ask for a form at Faner Hall 3242, SIU, Carbondale, IL.
- Download the application as a Microsoft Word file.
You can send financial statements in one of three ways:
- If your bank works with FundsV, you can submit your financial statements to us online.
- Download and complete the downloadable financial statement HERE
- If you apply using another method, you will be told how to provide financial information to complete your application process. (Note: Depending on your country of origin and upon other factors, an official letter from your bank may also be necessary).
The $50 application fee may be paid via peerTransfer, a check, or money order payable to Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Please mail all necessary materials to:
*The non-refundable application fee is $50. In addition, a $1000 initial non-refundable tuition deposit MAY be required in order to complete your admission process. This one-time fee indicates your commitment to attend our Center and secures your course enrollment. If you register as our student at the beginning of the term you have been admitted for, and later attend one term at CESL, that $1000 deposit will be credited toward your tuition. It will become the final paymeny to complete your tuition payment. At the time of first registration you will need to first pay the regular student fees, the campus health insurance costs, and any other tuition less the amount of the $1000 deposit you have made.