SIU offers Conditional Admission for all undergraduate programs and most graduate programs if you have a low score on an English proficiency exam but you meet all other academic requirements for your major. Conditional admission means that you receive admission to the university with the condition that you will study intensive English at CESL before starting classes at the university level.
Are you ready to get started?
Admission to a Degree Program at SIU
Undergraduate students can demonstrate the English requirement for SIU in one of these ways:
- Attain the requisite SIU admission score on TOEFL
- Pass English for Academic Purposes 2 with an 80% in all classes and earn a 500 on the TOEFL.
- Pass English for Academic Purposes 2 with an 80% in all classes over the course of a 16-week semester (two CESL terms).
Graduate students can demonstrate the English requirement for SIU in one of these ways:
- Attain the requisite SIU/Departmental TOEFL score.
- Pass graduate student English with an 80% in all classes and earn a 500 on the TOEFL.
If you receive conditional admission to SIU, you are automatically admitted to CESL. You don’t need to complete an additional application for CESL. Just send a copy of your conditional admission letter or I-20 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International students that already meet the English proficiency requirement can apply for full undergraduate admission at the undergraduate admission site or graduate admission at the graduate admission site.